Training Session for the Finals of 2021 Global Competition on Design for Future Education (For Students)
On November 13th
, 2021, the training session for the finals of 2021 Global Competition on Design for Future Education (2021GCD4FE) (For Students) was held online. Hosted by Beijing Normal University (BNU) and organized by Smart Learning Institute of Beijing Normal University (SLIBNU), the training session is to help the finalists to identify problems, optimize projects and prepare for the finals.
Group Photo of Training Session for the Finals of 2021GCD4FE (For Students)
Mr. Guangju Chen, Vice President of School Affairs Committee of BNU, addressed welcome remarks to the training session. Firstly, he made congratulations to the 18 teams that had successfully entered the finals, and hoped that each team could make further efforts and achieve good results in the finals in December. Prof. Chen pointed out that it would be the 120th anniversary of BNU in 2022, and there would be more teachers and students participating in the new round of GCD4FE to design better projects and promote the development of future education.
Representatives of 18 promotion teams from domestic and foreign universities gave presentations on their projects respectively, analyzing some focuses in special education, rural education and education in earthquake, etc. It fully reflected their understanding on educational innovation and the development of future education, which is very enlightening.
The instructors of the training session include Mr. Dongming Ma, Lecturer of Department of Product Design at Beijing University of Chemical Technology; Mr. Quan Wen, Guest teacher at the Beijing Institute of Fashion Technology; and Ms. Yuening Bai, Lecturer of Education Development Center, Communication University of China. They listened carefully to each team’s presentation and offered some constructive and instructive suggestions as follows.
1. Pay attention to the logic and structure of projects. Sort out the internal logic of the whole projects to form an organic whole. Identify the target users, what to do, how to do and how to ensure project objectives.
2. Identify the real demands of users. Consider problems from the perspective of users rather than designers, understand the real demands of users and focus on their actual experiences. Design the functions/contents of projects in accordance to users’ demands.
3. Attach importance to the visual design and presentation of projects. Both the project samples and presentation materials should emphasize on aesthetics and design. It will effectively increase the appeal of projects by improving the presentation quality and optimizing the visual design.
4. Improve the persuasiveness of projects by effectively using real cases. Starting with the real cases can not only make users have more empathy with projects, but also help them understand the projects, so that the projects seem more practical and convincing.
5. Consider the role of technology from reality. Identify the role of technology in design and consider its necessity. Please focus on it whether the technical conditions required in the use of projects are suitable for the users’ environment at that time. (such as post-disaster power failure, poor rural areas, etc.)
6. Stress the innovation and highlights of projects. Grasp the core design concept, stress the characteristics and clarify the highlights.
The Finals of 2021 GCD4FE will be held on December 18th
. For more information, please refer to the official website (http://gcd4fe.bnu.edu.cn/